Friday, July 01, 2005

Scientology Must Be Stopped

I'm going to be serious for a moment, and talk about something slightly personal. I think most people have had a good laugh at the recent Tom Cruise Insanity Explosion, and I have laughed at this psycho as much as the next thetan. But what we must not miss from this rare look at the beliefs of Scientology is that, in essence, the "religion" is a threat to the mental health of us all.

Starting with his odd comments that Brooke Shields' career was sucking because she used Paxil to help her postpartum depression, Tom Cruise has become increasingly vocal about the "evils" of Psychiatry, which finally ended in his memorable showdown with Matt Lauer when Tom basically decreed he knew more about psychiatry than any of us mere mortals. Funny yes, but disturbing in it's larger message: that Scientology thinks psychiatry should be banned. Cruise may be a nut, but there are a lot of people like him out there, equally nutty, and in a position to actually do something harmful.

I'm going to share something. I currently take the anti-depressent Paxil, as well as an anti-anxiety medication. I've been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, and I've been seeing a psychiatrist off and on for 6 years. I have no doubts in my mind that if I hadn't sought help from my doctor when I was first having anxiety attacks, I might have done something awful to myself. When you can't stop yourself from freaking out, you need to get help, and spending thousands of dollars on classes at the local Scientology center isn't going to help you. When Cruise and his Scientologist brethren insult psychiatrists, people who have dedicated their lives to helping those with serious problems, it's time to stop giving them our attention. My problems are relatively minor in the pantheon of mental illness. I've had friends who have needed much more counseling than I did, who are probably alive today because they got counseling, and if anyone has a relative or knows someone who has any of the symptoms of schizophrenia, than you know that vitamins won't make them well.

Thankfully, Cruise's newfound verve for talking about his "faith" has caused people to take a look at Scientology again. Today in an Op/Ed in the New York Times, Brooke Shields lets the world know how wrong Cruise is. Also, Salon.com has run a four-part series this week that looks at Cruise, the Church of $cientology, and, today, an excellent piece on Scientology's war on psychiatry. Get the Salon day pass and read all four parts. It's frightening and creepy, and Scientology has to be stopped. I am urging everyone I know not to go see Cruise's new film War of the Worlds and I will never pay for a film starring a $cientologist ever again. I'm serious. I may SEE the film, but I might buy a ticket for, say, Batman Begins. Not a dime from me, Cruise. Now, obviously there are Scientologists who work in the film industry whom we don't know about, who may have helped make Star Wars or Batman Begins or whatever. So I'm not boycotting everything, but I will never again pay for a film featuring a known $cientologist in the starring role. Not until they call off their war on people who have helped me and countless others get through bad times. Helped them in real ways, not in Cruise's fake, self-gratifying way. I can't give him my money. $cientology must be stopped.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lone Ranger said...

Scientologists sure can hold a grudge. Their problem with psychiatrists goes back 75 million years. You can get the whole story here. http://importantstuffornot.blogspot.com/2005/06/tom-cruise-is-nuts.html

Sun Jul 03, 05:47:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home