Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Oh, oh

Roberts just spoke about the Commerce Clause, and I really really really do not like the implication in what he said. Without actually saying so, he seemed to say that Lopez and Morrison are aberrations.

PS: Sessions is an idiot.

UPDATE (15-Sep): He really does seem to believe the Commerce Clause can cover almost anything. This is not good. I want a justice who does not believe in Wickard, and, should he get the chance, would vote to overturn it. I was promised a Scalia or a Thomas, and I feel cheated. Roberts may be good, but it appears he's no Thomas, and not even a Scalia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Milhouse said...

I don't care who his friends are - Scalia's best friend on the court is Ginsburg. But Lopez and Morrison aren't friends; they're the very thin wedge which we had hoped would eventually bring down the whole structure of modern Commerce Clause jurisprudence, Wickard and all. And if he is going to look at Raich and at the broad sweep of Commerce Clause cases, and ignore Lopez and Morrison as aberrations, then what good is he?

And Monty, "he's not Scalia or Thomas either" is the point. Bush promised us a Scalia or a Thomas. I prefer a Thomas, but I'd settle for a Scalia. Not someone who's simply going to channel the ghosts of bad courts of the past.

Wed Sep 14, 09:49:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home