Monday, July 25, 2005

Presidential Straw Poll

Patrick Ruffini's having a Presidential straw poll, but the choice is fairly limited. Which of the following would you vote for: George Allen, Bill Frist, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Mitt Romney. Well, for me, both Guiliani and McCain are right out. In the unlikely event that either of them wins the Republican nomination, I will not vote for them in the general election, nor lift a finger to help them win. I'm not particularly impressed with Frist, and know practically nothing about Allen or Romney. Out of those five, I guess if I had to make a choice I'd go with Romney. At least he's had some governing experience, and I don't know that he's made a particular mess of it. I've seen how Guiliani governs, and the word that comes to mind is "authoritarian" (well, that's one word that comes to mind...). I know we have at least one regular reader who works in Massachusetts, and has been able to see Romney's governing style up close and personal, and to compare it to that of several previous MA governors; please comment with your thoughts. Or post to your blog, and put a link in the comments here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, voted for Romney, primarily because he is a social con. Not that I am, I simply prefer judges that so-cons put to the bench. This is my position for a wide variety of reasons having little to do with the hot-button issues (e.g., abortion) that drive such appts. Commerce Clause and stuff like that is best parsed by the "strict constructionists" the so-cons demand.

Like you, Guiliani creeps me out with his authoritarian views and MO. The war on drugs drives me to drink, and former prosecutor Rudy just LOVES locking people up for using substances the govt does not like. McCain? He needs a civics course with emphasis on the First Amendment's free speech clause. Frist lost me forever during the Schiavo hysteria. And I don't know much about George Allen.

So, it was Romney for me.

--Mona--

Mon Jul 25, 04:27:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home